The Head of Business Banking is responsible for developing, executing, and managing the SME strategy and tactical business plan, taking into account market opportunities/growth potential, competitor activity, existing capabilities and risk appetite of the institution.
- Define measurable business growth objectives, management processes and measures.
- Participate in the strategic planning of the organisation and leading the business planning for the Business Banking segment.
- Devise and agree product and sales mix.
- Engages with external stakeholders to position the organisation as a partner for growth within the SME segment and for the benefit of our customers.
- Maintain alignment with the Retail Banking segment and other departments to ensure synergy in deploying our strategy across our chosen markets.
- Lead the preparation and implementation of Customer Value Propositions (CVPs) within the digital-forward strategy of the organisation.
- Implement customer journeys (on-boarding, retention etc) aligned to the strategy and value proposition of the segment and organisation.
- Responsible to define and drive client value and organisational value within the Business Banking segment.
- Grow scale and market share within our chosen markets.
- Responsible for driving an ecosystem banking mindset into the organisation to ensure that company leverages on the ecosystem of its Business Banking customers to grow.
Talent and Culture
- Identify, recruit, retain and lead a highly motivated and skilled team in order to meet the needs of customers in the segment and in line with the digital-forward approach of the organisation.
- Define and develop a service-based sales culture.
- Provide input into the People strategy of the organisation
- Responsible for achieving the financial metrics of the segment through sales, effective cost and margin management; and customer experience
- Ensure an efficient deployment of capital as measured by the segment achieving target ROEs set from time to time.
- As a member to ALCO to ensure liquidity and capital is management efficiently, within regulatory norms and for the benefit of shareholder returns.
- Effectively manage risks and governance standards within the segment – credit risk, operational risk, regulatory and reputational risk being the main risk elements.
- Responsible for maintaining a healthy portfolio as measured by impairments, loan losses and overall delinquencies.
- Lead the definition of the risk appetite within the segment – working with Risk department
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Strong sales, credit and service orientation with outgoing personality and good communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to coach and grow the next leaders of the business.
- Ability to influence various key stakeholders in referring and cross-offering potential business opportunities for sustainable business growth
- Highly agile in learning, adapting to ever-changing business environment, and with strong ability to cope at a fast and dynamic pace
- Highly sensitive to customers’ needs, able to provide quality services in exploring and fostering banking relationships among personal and business customers
- Experience in managing a P&L and balance sheet to optimize return on equity.
- Strong analytical and finance skills
- An understanding of how technology can be used to improve financial inclusion and how technology is shaping the financial services landscape.
- Ability to lead change and complex situations
- Excellent emotional intelligence and show of composure in uncertain and difficult situations.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- Undergraduate degree
- A Master’s degree/professional qualification will be an added advantage
- 10+ years’ experience in SME banking