The Credit Manager is responsible for the entire credit process in the Business Banking segment. This includes the developing and digitizing the credit processes and underwriting criteria within the segment, designing robust monitoring mechanisms to ensure a good quality portfolio; consistent application of agreed credit policies, periodic credit reviews of existing customers/schemes. The Credit Manager’s goal is to grow the loan portfolio with minimal loan losses.
- Identify, recruit, and lead credit analyst to ensure they have the required skill and motivation levels aligned to the organization’s ambition and strategy.
- Work with Talent and Culture to identify and grow talent within the team.
- Embed a robust culture aligned with the organisation’s values and culture
- Identify skill gaps and provide coaching and training to the team.
- Ensure that underwriting criteria and our credit processes are customer-centric, yet robust to mitigate against any credit/operational/market risks.
- Identify and execute process improvements in the credit process – working with Sales Manager and Risk
- Review credit applications (based on limits set from time to time); and recommend for approval
- Implement measures to reduce turn-around time and rework rates for credit processed.
- Implement measures to provide first-level of defense against credit losses within the segment
- Work with Risk and Sales to implement robust and ongoing credit monitoring for entire portfolio
- On a continuous basis and working with Risk and Sales, identify sectors with opportunities to focus on and with risks to mitigate/avoid.
- Participate in risk appetite discussions for the segment – working with Head of Business Banking, Risk and Sales.
- Work with Risk and Finance to ensure that a robust impairment framework is in place to guarantee adequate impairment cover in line with best practices.
- Work with Products to ensure that our credit products and portfolio is appropriately priced based on the risk and market conditions.
- Work with Sales Team to ensure growth targets and revenue targets are met
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Understands the trends and scope of credit methodology in Business Banking, and its impact on the company’s activities
- Knowledge and experience in a credit risk environment in SME segment
- Practical experience in managing and supervising credit operations gained from banking or financial institution.
- Knowledge and experience in lending credit and risk management, client screening, collateral perfection, product design, loan approval processes, repayment terms and incentives, delinquency and default management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively, interpret documents, understand procedures, write reports and correspondence; speak clearly to third parties and employees
- An understanding of how technology can be used to improve financial inclusion and how technology is shaping the financial services landscape.
- Strong customer focused and experience in relationship management will be an added advantage.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, commerce, marketing and sales or related field
- At least 6 years’ experience in managing credit in a bank or savings and loans Company
- Qualification in Finance will be an added advantage