- The programme currently seeking candidates for a full-time position as Vegetable Agronomist.
- The Vegetable Agronomist is responsible for providing hands-on approach to vegetable companies, coordinating the agronomy modules and Training of Trainers, as well as the organization of demonstrations, field days and variety trials.
Under the supervision of the GhanaVeg Coordinator, the key responsibilities of the Vegetable Agronomist include:
- Prepare and support the quarterly Training of trainers as assigned by Wageningen UR-PPO (Appied Plant Research). These are training events that range from 2 days to 2 weeks and bring together 25 – 50 vegetable agronomists and farm managers
- Explore with Universities and Agriculture colleges the inclusion of the Agronomy Modules in their curricula
- Follow-up with the 50 Trainers on disseminating the knowledge to their farmer groups and outgrower schemes, through setting up demonstration sites, field days and trainings
- Provide hands-on advice to partner companies and the vegetable cluster projects
- Coordinate a number of trials in southern and northern Ghana with NGOs and research institutes, ensuring thet trials are implemented according to protocols with highest standards of crop management
- Contribute to the documentation of the program’s achievements in terms of: reports, publications, brochures and/or guidelines
Qualification Required & Experience
The vegetable Agronomist has a background in plant sciences or agronomy. He/She must be able to provide technical advice to fellow agronomists on vegetable farming in terms of seedling production, pest and disease management, soil fertility management and irrigation. In addition, he/she has strong project management skills that enables him/her to efficiently prepare and organise trainings and supervise the demonstration, field days and trials. He/She is a team player with strong communication and training skills, who is able to engage with both large and small-scale farmers.
- Minimum 7 years of experience working in agricultural advisory services, preferably in Ghana’s vegetable sector
- Master’s degree in one of the following: plant sciences, agronomy or horticulture
- At least 3 years experience in project management, organizing events, workshops and/or trainings
- Excellent skills in setting up and evaluating trainings, field demonstrations and trials, including the necessary writing, communication and facilitation skills
[gravityform id=”3997″ title=”false” description=”false”]