Vacancy Number: A&A /TML/2018/02/Apr
Contract Type: Defined Duration Contract
Reporting to: Head of Atuguba & Associates
Subsidiary: Atuguba & Associates (A&A)
Documents Required: CV and Mandatory Motivational Letter
Role Summary & Key Duties
Under the Immediate Supervision of the A&A Manager:
- To report to the Managing Associate in relations to all matters specific to work as a lawyer and to work on any cases assigned by the Managing Associate or Managing Director.
- To advise clients of the Law Firm concerning business transactions, claim liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending lawsuits, or legal rights and obligations.
- To interpret laws, rulings and regulations for individuals and businesses.
- To analyze the probable outcomes of cases, using knowledge of legal precedents.
- To evaluate findings and develop strategies and arguments in preparation for presentation of cases in court.
- To gather evidence to formulate defence or to initiate legal actions, by such means as interviewing clients and witnesses to ascertain the facts of a case.
- To represent clients of the Law Firm in court or before government agencies.
- To examine legal data to determine advisability of defending or prosecuting a lawsuit.
- To argue motions, meet with judges and question witnesses during the course of a trial.
- To present evidence to defend clients or prosecute defendants in criminal or civil litigation.
Programmes Officer Duties
- To be responsible for deployment timelines and budget requirements for planned or new operations;
- To develop logistical plans for existing operations;
- To develop and implement methodologies and tools to enable effective execution of logistic plans;
- To manage logistics operations, including, material and personnel;
- To coordinate and provide logistics support to on-going operations;
- To prepare reports on personnel and material movements and other operational logistics issues;
- To ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained;
- To document all project activities.
- To attend and report on meetings, workshops, and other work related gatherings assigned by the Managing Director.
- To secure all work related documentations in soft and/or hard copies and get soft copies or scanned hard copies stored in Electronic Reference Suite (ERS).
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in law practice, work in a corporate environment.
- Proven experience of providing legal support i.e. extensive case-related research into relevant laws and regulations, negotiate on behalf of clients, draft and interpret contracts and legal documents and oversee compliance to these documents, plan and present arguments and counter-arguments in court of law.
- Maintain client relationships: maintaining good rapport with A&As clients by explaining complex legal proceedings ad concepts in easy to understand methods.
- Excellent ability to synthesize meetings, reports, briefing papers, etc.
- Excellent written communication with proven experience in high- level report writing
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working partnerships, with key stakeholders
- Must be ready and willing to work the typical 8am-5pm work schedule, weekends and away from his/her base, if need be
- Must be ready and willing to be mentored
- Proficient in Microsoft packages and Database systems, and Internet as a research tool.
- A team player, ability to multitask and work in cross-functional fast-paced environment with the pressure of multiple deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to travel, as required.
- Must demonstrate strong capacities to lead a team.
- Demonstrate ability to work on own initiative with minimal supervision.
- Hold a valid Solicitors Licence.
- Advanced understanding of confidentiality requirements.
- A holder of Bachelor of Laws degree (LL.B) or any other related Bachelor Degree minimum;
- A Master’s degree in Law (LL.M) preferred or any other relevant Masters Degree;
- The Associate will be a highly self-motivated and efficient team player, with exceptional attention to detail.
- The Associate will be highly organised and able to meet tight deadlines whilst working under pressure.
- The Associate will display mature work practices and demonstrable sound judgement and flexibility in all areas of their role.
Remuneration: Attractive and commensurate with experience.